Degree in Medicine and Surgery from Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona in 2003. He got his specialist Neurology diploma from Dr Josep Trueta University Hospital of Girona in 2008. Subsequently, he performed a 5-month stage in the Deep Brain Stimulation department of the National Hospital of Neurology and Neurosurgery – Queen Square in London, which is in charge of Professors Patricia Limousin and Marwan Hariz and doctor Tom Foltynie. He went back to Barcelona to work as a permanent consultant in General Neurology and Movement Disorders in the University Hospital Moisès Broggi. After almost three years focused in neurologic clinical practice, he decided to move to Grenoble (France), the birthplace of modern Functional Neurosurgery, where, under the wings of Professors Paul Krack and Elena Moro, he performed a two year clinical and research fellowship focused in Movement Disorders and, specifically, in deep brain stimulation for Parkinson’s Disease. In Grenoble, he has started his PhD that he will continue at the CINAC-Hospital Puerta del Sur. He complemented his clinical training with a Master’s degree in Movement Disorders from Murcia’s University, validated by the European Credit Transfer System. His interests and main expertise fields are focused on clinical practice and research in Parkinson’s disease, specifically the emotional and behavioral features, as well as the use of Deep Brain Stimulation for its treatment and the treatment of other Movement Disorders.
- Martinez-Fernandez R, Lhommee E, Quesada J, Klinger H., Bichon A., Schmitt E., Fraix V., Castrioto A., Pelissier P., Broussolle E., Thobois S., Krack P. A Postoperative apathy can neutralize benefits in quality of life after subthalamic stimulation for Parkinson’s disease. Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry (pendiente de decision de los revisores).
- Martínez-Fernández R, Moro E. Chorea: a surgical approach. In: LeWitt P, Michelli F, eds. Chorea: an Update. 2014.London: Springer-Verlag
- Martínez-Fernández R, Caballol N, Castrillo L., Krack P. Freezing of backward gait. Movement Disorders Clinical Practice. 2014 1(3):255-257.
- Martínez-Fernández R, Caballol N, Gómez-Choco M. MRI and transcranial sonography findings in Wilson’s disease. Movement Disorders. 2013 Jun; 28(6):240.
- Martínez-Fernández R, Zrinzo L, Aviles-Olmos I, Hariz M, Martinez-Torres I, Joyce E, Jahanshahi M, Limousin P, Foltynie T. Deep Brain Stimulation for Gilles de la Tourette Syndrome- a case series targeting sub-regions of the Globus Pallidus internus. Movement Disorders. 2011; 26(10): 1922-30.