My passion is to help find a cure for Parkinson’s disease. In 2004, I obtained my MD degree at Universidad Autónoma de Madrid. Thereafter, I obtained the first position to specialize in neurology in my region, Comunidad de Madrid to complete my instruction as a neurologist at Hospital 12 de Octubre, which I achieved in 2009. That year, I started my specific training in Parkinson’s disease at the prestigious Hertie Institut für Klinische Hirnsforschung, in Tübingen, Germany. To complement that training, I was awarded a Rio hortega fellowship in 2010, a competitive program from the Spanish Research Agency (ISCiii). During this fellowship, I contributed to the research of the epidemiology, gastrointestinal markers and the advance management of Parkinson’s disease. Additionally, I finished a Master of Science in Research Methodology at Universidad Autónoma de Barcelona. As a result of all these efforts, I was granted a fellowship at one of the best Hospitals in the USA, the Massachusetts General Hospital, which is affiliated to Harvard University in Boston. During this period, I continued my research in the pathophysiology of neurodegenerative disorders and initiated my contact with technology development. Recently, I was awarded another highly competitive fellowship to learn the process of innovation in biomedicine at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA (M+Vision Fellowship). In this program I started to close the loop by envisioning a new technology that, now, I will be able integrate in CINAC’s vision of finding a cure for Parkinson’s.
- Giancardo L, Sánchez-Ferro A, Butterworth I, Mendoza CS, Hooker JM. Psychomotor Impairment Detection via Finger Interactions with a Computer. Sci Rep. 2015;1–8. In Press.
- Sánchez-Ferro A, Rábano A, Catalán MJ, Rodríguez-Valcárcel FC, Díez SF, Herreros-Rodríguez J, et al. In vivo gastric detection of α-synuclein inclusions in Parkinson’s disease. Mov Disord. 2014 Aug 11.
- Benito-León J, Louis ED, Sánchez-Ferro Á, Bermejo-Pareja F. Rate of cognitive decline during the premotor phase of essential tremor: a prospective study. Neurology. 2013 Jul 2 . Dec 1];81(1):60–6.
- Sánchez-Ferro Á, Benito-León J, Louis ED, Mitchell AJ, Molina-Arjona JA, Trincado R, et al. Rate of cognitive decline in premotor Parkinson’s disease: a prospective study (NEDICES). Mov Disord. 2013 Feb];28(2):161–8.
- Sánchez-Ferro Á, Benito-León J, Mitchell AJ, Louis ED, Posada IJ, Trincado R, et al. Premotor cognitive status in a cohort of incident Parkinson disease patients (NEDICES). J Neurol Sci. 2011 Nov 15 ;310(1-2):211–5.